Friday, January 16, 2015

Stereo type

I'm changing up my post a little.
I have watch my granddaughter struggle with peer pressure and thought this would be a good place to put out some views of my own.
So in a way this is dedicated to my grand daughters.

Now just because I am old and from another generation does not mean this can not apply to you.
Things don't change all that much.


When I was a young girl I hate skirts and dresses. I wanted pants and jeans.
I also liked playing in the dirt, playing baseball and basketball.
Most people called me a tom boy.
But to me I just wanted to be me to do what felt right to me and comfortable. It did not mean I was a boy boy or a girl struggling to be a boy. it meant I like jeans and dirt.
I had dreams of getting married and having children some day. But as a young girl I wanted to dress the way that made me feel good. Not all gussied up fancy like every one thought a little girl should be. and heaven for bid should I get dirty! Dirty was my middle name. I loved playing with road graters and dump trucks and mud. I did not like trying to wear high heels shoes that hurt my feet and twisted my ankles. So leave me alone to be me.
They didn't want to take me to church because I didn't want to wear a dress. I didn't want to wear make up or get my hair done up. What was wrong with you they would ask? Are you trying to be a boy? NO but I want to be me and those things are not me.
Sure as I got older I did wear a dress once in awhile and I did have my hair done once in awhile but I didn't ever wear make up because to me that was hiding the real me. I didn't like the way it felt on my face so I didn't wear it EVER!
And for heels? NOPE give me flat shoes or tennis shoes and I'm happy. I just don't feel I need to add height to me. I am me I am 5 feet 4 inches tall period!
I hear now all these  girls I went to school with who all wore heels who now have so much trouble with their feet. Me? My feet are good! well except the arthritis.
Yes I was over weight and yes I worried about it. But you know what? I dressed to make me look good with the extra weight and I am still me. I don't listen to others telling me oh you should do this honey it would make you look so much better.
But here is the thing that went around my head the most.
Because I wanted to be me, because I wanted to play in dirt and play baseball and basketball and wear jeans and flat shoes do you know what hurt the worst? They said I was gay!
Now I do not have a thing against those who are gay. nope not at all some of my best friends are gay. BUT just because I wanted to be different and wanted to be me I was labeled! and labeled gay! And that hurt. They whispered behind my back and they weren't true friends, they wanted to know what a gay person was like. and even if they found out I wasn't gay they refused to change their minds about me.
So girls, here is what I want to tell you. BE YOU. DON'T LISTEN TO OTHERS MAKE YOUR SELF HAPPY.  and remember you might start a new trend by being you,

No comments:

Post a Comment